When we collect your information
Information about you is collected when:
• you apply to participate in Bupa B Table
• you submit a query to us, for example by email, telephone or social media, including where you reference the Bupa group of companies in a public social media post
• you participate in any marketing activity
We may also collect personal information about you from other people when:
• you use a third party application to provide information to one of our mobile applications or websites.
Information about you may be shared by the companies in the Bupa group for all the purposes identified under “Using your information” to enable us to manage our relationship with you as a Bupa customer and update and improve our records. We may also share information in aggregated form with the companies in the Bupa group.
Bupa works with other individuals and organisations to provide our services to you, and this may involve them handling your personal information. This handling of your personal information may be done outside of the European Economic Area in countries with different data protection laws. In that case we ensure that the confidentiality and security of your personal information is protected by contractual restrictions and service monitoring.
We do not share your personal information with anyone outside of the Bupa group to use for their own purposes, except:
• when we have your permission
• when we are permitted or obliged to do so by law. For example, we are required to provide information to organisations such as the National Registries (e.g. The Cancer Registry) and to notify the government of certain infectious diseases such as TB and meningitis (but not HIV/Aids)
• to protect the rights, property, or safety of Bupa, our customers, or others.
• in order to detect, prevent and help with the prosecution of financial crime. For example we may share information with fraud prevention or law enforcement agencies, and other organisations. If we suspect fraudulent activity we may inform the person or organisation who administers or funds your Bupa services.
• if there are other exceptional circumstances, and we are unable or it is not appropriate to seek your permission.
Using your information
We use your personal information to provide you with our services, and to improve and extend our services. This may include:
• responding to your queries
• internal record keeping and administration
• responding to requests where we have a legal or regulatory obligation to do so
• checking the accuracy of information about you
• using your contact information to send promotional material about new products, special offers or other information we think you may find interesting (see ‘Keeping you informed’ below for more information)
• using your contact information to give you an opportunity to complete a customer satisfaction survey
• using your contact information to conduct and analyse market research
We will only keep your personal information for as long as is necessary and in accordance with UK law.
Keeping you informed
The Bupa group would like to keep you informed of the Bupa group’s products and services that we consider may be of interest to you (via mail, email, phone or SMS). When we collect your information, we will ask you if you would like us to keep you updated in this way. We may use your personal information to:
• decide which services which we think are relevant to you
• decide which media, including social media platforms, would best be utilised to reach the customers who wish to receive marketing materials
• contact you with details of our products and services, including displaying interest-based adverts via social media
If you do not wish to receive marketing information about our products and services, or at any time you change your mind about receiving these messages, please contact the Bupa UK Information Governance Team on the details shown below.
If you have any data protection queries, please contact the Bupa UK Information Governance team:
Write: 4 Pine Trees, Chertsey Lane, Staines-upon-Thames, TW18 3DZ
You should also contact the Bupa UK Information Governance team to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to ask us to correct or remove (where justified) any inaccurate information. We may charge a small amount for providing you with a copy of your personal information. We may also ask you to provide additional documentation to confirm your identity or, if you are seeking to access personal information of another individual, proof of their consent or your legal right to receive their personal information.
Updating this Privacy Notice
We review and update this notice regularly. The latest copy of this notice and the trading companies that comprise the Bupa group can be found on this web page.
1 March 2018